Stephen and Lori Hendrick, our Kansas City, Missouri, son and daughter-in-law, looked for ways to guide and support their four children (our grandchildren) into a wholesome worldview and lifestyle, including Biblical attitudes toward sexuality. Their parenting in this area blossomed into a highly anticipated parent-to-each-child time together. Upon the 13th birthday of each, a special overnighter was planned. Dad Stephen took son Andrew (“Drew”) on a camping/mountain biking trip; and later Mom Lori, upon the 13th birthday of each daughter, separately took Ashlyn, Avery and Abigail to an area hotel for their special times together, each using a program designed for this very purpose.
I didn’t ask for all the details, but this special time was a highlight and a treasured experience for each of the three older children. On the second of the two days, each child was invited by, again, Stephen with Drew and Lori with their daughters, Ashlyn, Avery and Abigail, to accept and wear a “purity ring.” By accepting … as they did … each was volunteering to wear his/her ring to express commitment … a commitment to “wait” for the one they would marry before having the sexual intimacies God planned to occur within marriage … the marriage of one man to one woman (see Mathew 19: 1-4).
As in everything, the ways of God are always best for us … and are designed by the God who loves us.
Abigail (“Abbey”) at this writing is age 12. In anticipation of her special weekend with Mom, she asked her parents if she might have her “special time” a bit early, since she was 12 … like … soon! But the plan was to wait for that 13th birthday, as did her siblings. (She had her time and is now 18 and in her first year of college!)
Enjoy Lori and Stephen Hendrick telling of these special “Purity” weekends with their children … in their own words.
And they do it based upon the teachings of the Bible, God’s Word, such as …
- From one of God’s Ten Commandments, “You shall not commit adultery.” (Exodus 20:14)
- Once when Jesus was asked about marriage, “ … [Jesus] answered and said ‘Have you not read (in Genesis chapter 1 & 2) that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE, and said ‘FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH?’ So they are no longer two but one flesh …” (Matthew 19: 4 – 6)
- In the early church in Corinth (Greece), various sins are listed that had previously been committed by those in the church, including adultery. Thus the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul added in addressing the people in the church: “Such [sins were committed by] some of you; but you were washed, you were sanctified [set apart], but you were justified [‘just as if I’ve never sinned’] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of God.”
(I Corinthians 6: 9 – 11)
- “As obedient children, do not be conformed to your former lusts which were yours in your former ignorance, but like the Holy One Who called you, be holy yourselves also in your behavior; because it is written. ‘YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.’” (I Peter 1: 14 – 16)
- “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)
- “But God demonstrates his own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)
- “The Lord is … not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” (II Peter 3:9)
Below are the verses read to me the night I received Christ into my life!
- “But as many as received Him, He gave the right to become children of God … who were born … of God.” (John 1:12, 13)
- [Jesus said] “… and the one who comes to me I will certainly not cast out.” (John 6:37)