Mark Whitacre, speaker for the Prayer Breakfast of Greater St. Louis on March 5, 2014, tells his powerful and gripping story! (Your invitation to attend … with hundreds of others … is found at www.cbmcstl.com.)
Mark Whitacre is an Ivy League Ph.D. –and the highest ranked executive of any Fortune 500 company to become a whistleblower in US history. Mark is responsible for uncovering the Archer Daniels Midland price-fixing scandal in the 1990’s. His undercover work with the FBI during the ADM scandal was the inspiration for the motion picture, “The Informant,” starring Matt Damon as Mark Whitacre. Mark served more than eight years in federal prison for white collar crime. His story is about hope, family commitment, and second chances, and is a wonderful example of a family overcoming extreme adversity – against all odds. (There is much more on Mark’s website.)
Other points from his amazing story:
· For 8 years his salary “package” was $3,000,000 … each year;
· As a top executive with Archer Daniels Midland, became involved in illegal “price fixing;”
· After months of struggle, he confessed to his wife … who responded: “Either you tell the FBI … or I will!” She preferred homelessness over dishonest wealth.
· Was wired as an FBI “whistleblower” for three years;
· Equipment used in his wired “whistle blowing” is currently on display to the public in the FBI National Headquarters in Washington, D.C.;
· For other “white collar” crimes, in a plea agreement he was offered a six-months prison sentence … but turned it down;
· As a consequence, spent more than eight years in federal prisons;
· Realizing that those imprisoned for five or more years, 99% of marriages end in divorce;
· Believing that he was forever ruined, never being able to secure meaningful employment, and that his marriage would be destroyed, he twice attempted suicide;
· Instead, while in different federal prisons, his wife and children moved to each location to be near each prison to see him during visiting hours on weekends;
· While in a North Carolina federal prison, local CBMC member Ian Howes in Chapel Hill, read of his plight, visited him frequently, led him to saving faith in Christ, discipled him with the Operation Timothy materials (which CBMC’er still use for discipling today);
· Attorney Chuck Colson, chief counsel for President Richard Nixon, imprisoned due to the Watergate scandal – transformed through saving faith in Christ and began “Prison Fellowship” – was also a mentor to Mark;
· Now as a popular inspirational speaker nationwide, Mark … still enjoying the unshakable faith and support of his wife … tells his story many times to audiences each year.
Mark urges his listeners to also commit to Jesus, praying a sincere prayer of repentance and faith as he prayed (which can be prayed at this very moment …):
I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness.
I believe that you sent Jesus, who died on the cross and rose from the dead, to
pay the penalty for my sins.
I now invite Jesus Christ to come into my heart and life as my personal Savior.
I ask You to forgive me for my sins, and I receive Your gift of eternal life.
It is in Jesus’ name that I accept this gift.
Now hear Mark Whitacre … in his own words …