To get to know Dr. Mike Higgins is to appreciate him. This brief, inspirational and humorous radio conversation with him is available to be heard right now.
Facts about him:
· He grew up in inner-city St. Louis, Mo.
· As a “full bird” Colonel he was then highest ranking black chaplain in the US military;
· He graduated from the military, then earned a doctorate from Covenant Theological Seminary (www.covenantseminary.edu) in St. Louis. Covenant requires that all faculty hold to the truth that all scripture in inspired of God and is inerrant. He wrote his doctoral thesis on the ministry role of minorities, such as himself, in a predominately white evangelical denomination such as he is now a part of, the Presbyterian Church of America (PCA). (Laughing, he reported that the work required to earn his Doctorate at Covenant “ … nearly killed me!”
· He was invited to become the Dean of Students of Covenant Seminary, and currently serves in that position. Dr. Mark Dalby is the Seminary President.
· To hear radio segments on spiritual leadership with Dr. Higgins’ “boss,” … titled … “Covenant Seminary President Dr Mark Dalbey provides insights from his Grace-Based Leadership Seminar” ... click on … http://haroldhendrick.com/content/view/748/5
· Mike’s wife Renee Higgins is an excellent Bible student, heavily involved for years in leadership with Founder Kay Arthur’s International “Bible Study Fellowship.” He took pleasure in reporting that Renee is known as “the Black Kay Arthur!” (See https://www.bsfinternational.org/).
· Mike and his brother-in-law, Pastor Phil Brownlee, began the “Pastoral Fellowship” of St. Louis that gathers every second Saturday morning in the church building that Phil serves as pastor, Peace Fellowship in South St. Louis. To hear past radio with Phil … titled … “Pastor Phil Brownlee & Pastoral Fellowship provide 2,000 donated turkeys & trimmings to those in need”… click on … http://haroldhendrick.com/content/view/854/5/
· … and to hear …
“Pastor Phil Brownlee in STL County jail listened hours a day to Bible teaching on Bott Radio Network” … click on … http://haroldhendrick.com/content/view/586/5/ .
From his printed biography:
“Mike (MDiv ’96, DMin ’12) first came to Covenant Seminary in 1992 as a student. He earned his MDiv in 1996 and served as an associate pastor at New City Fellowship in Chattanooga, Tennessee, from 1997 to 2001, after transferring into the Presbyterian Church of America from the Church of God in Christ. Mike then served from 2001 to 2010 as senior pastor of Redemption Fellowship (PCA) in Fayetteville, Georgia, before returning to the Seminary as Dean of Students in 2011.
“Mike is a retired US Army Colonel, having served first as a field artillery officer and then as a PCA chaplain in the Army Reserve, for a combined total of 31 years of military service. Before retiring from the military, he worked at the Pentagon for the Army Chief of Chaplains. He is also a graduate of the Army’s Command and General Staff College.
“In addition to his administrative and teaching duties at Covenant, Mike serves as senior pastor of South City Church in South Saint Louis City. He is the co-founder and an active member of the St. Louis Pastoral Fellowship. He has been married to his best friend, Renee, for 37 years. They have two daughters, Mary and Michelle, and two grandchildren, Moses and Mattie. Mike enjoys military history, exercising, and preaching.”