As you might expect, daughter-in-law Cortland (wife of our son David) Hendrick is not an atheist … any more. But she was .. into her 20’s.
The story of her journey from where she was to where she is now … is captivating!
Elements of it include …
· Growing up as a devout and articulate atheist just outside Washington DC
· Pursuing all that the world promised would fulfill yet finding no meaning in life
· Running the jet set with rich and famous friends whose lives were as empty as hers
· Praying to a God that she didn’t believe existed, “If you’re real, prove Yourself to me.”
· Making a 2-year study of all the major religions in the before reluctantly (and secretly) reading the Bible
· Her world was turned upside down by the life of Jesus and the “foolishness of the Gospel,” recognizing this was not a story a man would create to form a religion.
· Being completely alone in her search, with no other believers to explain anything to her
· Coming to understand that Jesus taught things that, in practice, would change the world and that He called His followers to die to their old lives and live completely new ones surrendered to His leadership. His death and resurrection was the means by which they would be empowered to do this as they were filled with the Holy Spirit
· Praying “God, if you can do anything more with my life than the mess I’ve made of it, it’s yours,” and being filled with an unspeakable joy that would not leave
· Continuing to work bartending in a celebrity nightclub in South Beach, Miami on the weekends, she was so brightly lit up from within that her friends were asking constantly what had happened to bring about such change
· Leading Bible studies from what she was learning … often at 6:00 AM after working all night, with her gay; Buddhist; rich; Atheist; drunk; fill-in-the-blank friends.
· Cortland Hendrick – wife, mother, and role model — is able to identify with a wide range of people who haven’t yet come to know Jesus, regardless of their background. She provides a terrific example of no one beyond God’s loving reach.
· To speak at your event – Cortland Hendrick is a terrific communicator who usually leaves her audiences inspired – and can be accessed at 618-980-8303.
(Cortland Hendrick’s earlier persuasion regarding atheism brought back a memory of Frank Turek’s book:
I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Te An Atheist!
As Turek notes: It takes a lot of faith to believe that … without a designer/creator ,,,
§ From absolutely nothing … came something!
§ From non-life … came life!
§ From non-order … came the order and design of the universe!
§ In reading in Genesis that “He [God] made the stars also…,” it is reported that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand in the entire earth!
Many helpful resources are available in addressing atheism are available such as found at www.mocreation.org. Missouri Association of Creation President, I recently recorded radio with its President Marv Schaefer, soon to be available for anytime listening at www.haroldhendrick.com.)