During the three-way war in Columbia, South America, risk-taking missionary Russell Stendal had prayed, time and again: “God, help me reach the Gorillas, help me reach the Gorillas,” the Gorillas being one of the factions in a civil war there. When they later captured him … and holding him captive for five months … Russell asked God “Why are you letting this happen?” God’s answer: “I’m helping you reach the Gorillas!”
Russell Stendal’s missionary life – with so many twists and turns — has resulted to be an ongoing “adventure.” Much of it is recorded in two of his books: Rescuing the Captors (1) and Rescuing the Captors (2), both available at www.amazon.com .
A significant part of his missionary ministry there has been establishing Christian radio stations, producing gospel radio … wherein he would often do the preaching and teaching, and distributing marvelous pocket-sized solar radios, produced by Galcom International of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (www.galcom.org).
These amazing radios …
· Run entirely on solar light, real or artificial;
· Weigh less than one pound each;
· Have dials set before distribution … which cannot be altered … to access only area Christian stations;
· Are distributed with Christian literature in dangerous areas by 5-pound-capacity parachutes (volunteers have a pattern to make the parachutes as mission projects);
· Contain small computer “chips” with the Bible accessible in many languages, J. Vernon McGee’s “Through the Bible” in many languages, and hundreds of additional hours of additional Christian preaching and teaching .
Amazing indeed! Russell Stengal and his fellow missionaries in Columbia, South America, have now distributed more than 100,000 Galcom solar radios!
Other radio segments with Spirt-led, risk-taking missionary adventurer, Russell Stengal, have been recorded and are to soon be on www.haroldhendrick.com for anytime listening.